Health is wealth
Health is one of the most important parts of our lives. Being healthy physically and mentally helps people to lead a happy and fulfilling life. It is also an important aspect for countries as a whole because it contributes to their economic growth. A healthy population lives longer and is more productive. Poor health can be caused by several issues like diseases, improper diet, mental stress, lack of hygiene, injury, unhealthy lifestyle, and many more. The experience of health, prosperity, and happiness is called well-being. It includes the satisfaction of life, feeling a sense of purpose, and being able to manage stress. Maintaining and improving one’s health and well-being is of extreme importance to lead a happy and satisfying life. Let’s take a look at some of these points.
Importance of health
When you are healthy, your body is free from different disorders and you can live a longer, happier life. Living without having to suffer from many aches and discomforts is a benefit in itself. This includes, but is not limited to, the fact that you do not have many medical expenses. Being able to engage in different activities without having to think about medication is a huge blessing. You will be able to do your best in almost every sector of your life. When you are physically fit, you feel better about yourself and this confidence is reflected on your face. When you are mentally healthy, you are able to make healthy relationships with people and most importantly, yourself. You are also more confident in your actions and can try new things. Being able to deal with past traumas, attitudes and outlook also contribute to well-being. Health and well-being bring a huge change in your life.
Taking care of one’s health helps them to feel more energetic and complete tasks that may be strenuous without pushing themselves too hard. Doing this also helps them to feel better about themselves as they are more productive and are able to complete more tasks. You are also able to complete tasks at home and work with a positive attitude and generally feel more motivated. More importantly, you can sleep well and do not wake up with stomach pain or body aches. When companies show interest in their employees’ physical and mental health, they are increasing the loyalty of their employees, reducing employee retention and absenteeism, and the company’s health care costs. They can do this by employing a counselor and providing regular health check-ups.
How to improve health and well-being?
Both health and well-being can be improved by several simple methods like:
- Be active daily: This is especially helpful for mental health and well-being. Pick up new habits and skills. The lockdown due to the pandemic affected the mental health of many people because it affected their productivity and ability to engage in different activities. Long periods of inactivity can cause anger, frustration, lethargy, and even depression. By finding new activities to participate in, you can experience a better mood and feel more energetic in addition to living a life that is generally better. Exercising three to five days a week also helps to improve mental and physical health. You can engage in light activities like swimming, yoga, riding a bicycle, etc.
- Strength train and lift heavy: Weight training is often seen as something merely done to develop muscles but this is not true. Strength training like lifting heavy weights has many benefits. It helps with weight management, increased energy levels, increased glucose metabolism, and more. You can strength train yourself by using dumbbells, kettlebells, etc.
- Do cardio workouts: Cardio makes your heartbeat faster and makes you sweat quite a lot. But it feels rewarding. Activities like distance jogging and running may be enjoyed by some but it is not for all. You can engage in intense activities like kickboxing, sprinting, circuit training, etc. for short periods. They also provide better results in terms of improving body composition, increasing the production of growth hormones, etc.
- A balanced diet: No amount of exercise is effective unless you follow a healthy, balanced diet. Our body needs certain nutrients to function properly. Some food groups need to be avoided completely. Each body has different requirements but the basic necessities remain the same. Do not rely on one type of food for vitamins and nutrients. For example, do not rely on chicken solely for protein. Find other sources and consume them. However, too much of anything is not good so you must be careful about what you eat. Also, drink a lot of water. Limit junk food, alcohol, smoking, etc. These are almost unavoidable in our present-day society. But they are unhealthy. While occasional usage is excused by most people, frequent use can affect your health and well-being in many ways.
- Get 6-9 hours of sleep daily: The importance of sleep is often overlooked. Following sleep cycles and getting sufficient sleep daily has a huge effect on a person’s mood. Not getting enough sleep can not only affect the mood and productivity but can also lead to body pains and lack of focus. Lack of sleep can also lead to craving sugary food, reduced muscle mass, poor hormonal profile, etc.
BMI is a universally accepted method to check a person’s physical health. It may not be accurate as it does not take factors like tissue mass, bone weight, etc. into consideration but it does give a count that is close enough for most people. Mental health and well-being can also be improved by reading about vast topics often, spending time for self-care and to relax, engaging in stimulating conversations, expressing gratitude to others, engaging in craftwork, getting some fresh air, listening to uplifting music and podcasts, and much more. Health and well-being are not things one can achieve overnight. It takes time and effort. But if you follow certain routines, you can certainly be happier and healthier. For better mental health, feel free to consult a therapist and seek professional help.